A Taste of Genetics MiniLab
A Taste of Genetics MiniLab with Electrophoresis Reagents and Micropipette Tips (Order no. M6013)
System(s) required: Electrophoresis | PCR
Genetics gets personal as students extract and amplify their own DNA, then utilize PCR and electrophoresis to determine their genotype for the PTC tasting trait using a restriction digest assay.
A comprehensive kit for 10 student groups to extract & amplify their own DNA with PCR and then do a restriction digest assay to determine their genotype.
Teaching AP Biology? A Taste of Genetics MiniLab and extension activities are three Big Ideas in one comprehensive package. Together, these labs are an in-depth exploration of the TAS2R38 gene, covering hands-on genetic analysis, bioinformatics, population genetics, and evolution.Materials Included in each MiniLab:
Contains enough of the following for 10 student groups, 2 – 3 students per group.
- Ten 2% Agarose GreenGel™ Cups
- One bottle of 100 mL TBE buffer concentrate
- DNA extraction solution
- Forward and reverse primers for PTC genes
- Taq polymerase master mix (2X)
- HaeIII restriction enzyme
- Restriction enzyme dilution buffer
- MiniOne® Sample Loading Dye (5X)
- MiniOne® Molecular Weight Marker
- One bag of 0.2mL thin-walled PCR tubes
- One bag of 0.65 mL microcentrifuge tubes
- Forty PTC taste strips
- Ten racks of micropipette tips, 96 tips/rack, 1-200µL